BEYOND SAVING - luis berriozabal

Beyond Saving

Luis Berriozabal

If you ever drop food on the floor, and pick it up to eat it, make sure you kiss it before you do. This will take away the devil's touch. At least this is what I have been told. Yesterday I dropped a slice of sourdough bread, the crust just like I like it. But I felt this bread was beyond saving. It was down there for a while before I could pick it up. My arms and hands did not react quick enough. My heart was shaken. No kiss could take away the devil's touch on this bread. It looked too good and I bet his mitts, his drool, and tail were all over this beautiful piece.

one hundred degrees
in the trashcan
dirty sourdough bread




Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal was born in Mexico. His first book of poetry, Raw Materials, was published in 2004 by Pygmy Forest Press. His first poetry chapbook, Without Peace, was published in July 2007 by Kendra Steiner Editions.