MY MOTHER WAS DOING THAT THING SHE DID - c. edward anable

MY MOTHER WAS DOING THAT THING SHE DID

c. edward anable


That thing with the ceramic dancing elves on the front lawn. Man, that drives me crazy. Once, when I came home drunk from Sid's I ran one over. I never did hear the end of that fucking story. She loves those little fuckers way more than me. So now when I come home I piss on them. When I told my grandparents about it I thought they'd take my side. Instead, "there you go making up lies again." That's what they told me.

So I left. I went over to my girlfriend’s house. She wasn't home but her sister was. Her younger sister. Her dad came home and didn't say nothing to me, just glared with his big ass handle-bar mustache and started doing that thing he does with the newspaper, which scares me a little, so I went home.

My mom was out front watering the lawn, rinsing my piss off her little elves. "Hey sweetheart. There's some roast beef in the ice box if you're hungry."

I mumble, "fuck-you," as I pass and head upstairs to my room. I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the hallway mirror. I stop. Eyeball myself, not quite ready to turn forty next week.



C. Edward Anable
cedward.anable@googlemail.com
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Murakami