DIAMONDS AND PEARLS - lee deamali


He throws his arm around me, says, “You know what else Bob and me got in common? We’re both still crazy about our wives. No kidding. At the conference in Vegas where we met, other guys were checking out the scenery, needling us to join them at some parties. We weren’t interested. No one could believe after being married 30 years, we’re both still madly in love with you ladies.”

I exchange a half smile with the woman beside me. He removes his arm, turns away to continue discussion with Bob on the finer points of some topic that never held my interest. There are things his partner and I may have in common, but nothing we can freely share, waiving down the waiter, empty goblets raised.



Lee DeAmali
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West
Stephen Ambrose